Monday, January 25, 2016

A Beautifully Narrated Tale of Love and Loss

Here is a lovely new audible review, written by Aaron Paul Lazar. Aaron is a mystery writer author, and many of his books have audiobook editions. I am thrilled by what he says about the narration of The Music of Us:
Overall
Performance
Story











"A Beautifully Narrated Tale of Love and Loss"
I read The Music of Us a few months before this audiobook came out, and loved it so much I jumped at the chance to listen to the characters as portrayed by Don Warrick.

Uvi Poznansky is a literary tour de force in a contemporary age when the quality of writing often takes a back seat to the quick thrill, or to be more precise, the quick buck. She writes as she paints, with careful, vibrant strokes of amazing clarity and color. Whether you are a reader or writer, teacher or student, you owe it to yourself read her work. You will be transported to a world where life is examined from a poet’s point of view, where you live in vignettes so real that you can’t help but love and care for the characters.

I have read and listened to all of Poznansky’s work, but this book resonated more deeply with me than all the previous titles, which I truly enjoyed. I suppose it is because I am an inveterate romantic. I ached for the young, “flashback” characters to come together. I shouted at them to wake up and smell the coffee when they missed opportunities to get together, and I reveled in the sweet endings when they finally connected.

The atmosphere of the 1940s is beautifully portrayed, and on a secondary level only to the (mostly) unrequited love story, it was my next treasured experience while reading this book. I loved the sounds and sights of the era, the music, the cars, and the lifestyles so well depicted. It was a fascinating dip into the life of those dynamic times.

Don Warrick is simply amazing. I loved his voice for the main character, Lenny, which was perfect for whatever age the character spoke from, whether middle aged or young. The other characters were amazingly portrayed and consistent throughout the story - Natasha, her annoying but delightful mother, Lenny's Uncle Schmeel, and even the announcer at Carnegie Hall who had me thinking, "Ed Sullivan," by his unique voice and pronunciation. Emotions flowed from Mr. Warrick's voice in such a way that you couldn't help but choke up or feel excited for "him," and the characters. But most surprising was this amazing narrator's singing voice. I loved hearing him sing various snippets of imaginary songs from the forties, and also lullabies sung by Natasha's mother, etc. They were beautifully done and his voice is very enjoyable.

If you are aching for a lyrical listen, for something above and beyond the usual offerings in the field of fiction, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Uvi Poznansky’s The Music of Us.


No comments:

Post a Comment